If you have been working out and dieting consistently, but are still not seeing the slim, shapely results you want, body contouring via liposuction might be the answer. This technique can help you get the most out of your existing fitness and nutrition goals by surgically removing stubborn pockets of fat from your body.
What Is Liposuction?
Liposuction remains one of the most in-demand plastic surgery procedures in the U.S., thanks to its long track record of safety and its ability to provide results. However, if you are still weighing your liposuction pros and cons, you may still not understand all the available options.
Liposuction is an outpatient treatment performed while you are under general anesthesia. When performed by a board-certified cosmetic surgeon who is experienced in modern surgical techniques, you can safely get liposuction on almost any “trouble spot” on your body, including your abdomen, thighs, upper arms, back, or your chin and neck region.
The Liposuction Procedure
Though there are several liposuction techniques available, the option Dr. Stephan prefers to perform is called power-assisted liposuction, or PAL. After making small incisions at your targeted fat removal site(s), he will insert a thin tube called a cannula.
PAL is less aggressive than traditional liposuction techniques because it relies on a back-and-forth motion to dislodge and remove fat deposits. PAL helps minimize swelling and bruising, which are common liposuction side effects. This method allows Dr. Stephan to contour your desired areas while remaining gentler on the surrounding tissue. PAL has also proven to create better results in areas with denser fat deposits that require extra effort to remove, like the belly and back.
Your Liposuction Consultation Checklist
If you are considering any kind of cosmetic surgery to help you achieve your aesthetic goals, your first step should be to schedule in-person meetings with surgeons near you. These appointments are your opportunity to meet the doctor and their medical team, see their office or clinic and get a sense of whether their values and personality align with yours.
A qualified surgeon will be able to address any concerns about liposuction and help you decide whether you are a good candidate for this surgery. To get the most out of your consultation, you will need to show up prepared with a list of questions you want to ask.
Use this checklist as a guideline to help you feel more comfortable taking full advantage of your “face time” with potential surgeons.
- On the day of your appointment, plan to arrive early, so you can give yourself plenty of time to fill out any requested paperwork. Or, to make things even more streamlined, ask if you can complete these documents ahead of time.
- Be prepared to discuss your complete medical history, including previous illnesses or surgeries you have had, what medications or supplements you take, and what conditions run in your family.
- On the day of your visit, make mental notes of factors like the cleanliness of the office and the friendliness of the staff. These small details can make a significant difference in your experience.
Questions to Ask Your Surgeon
Before your consultation, you should also prepare a list of questions to ask your surgeon during your time together. Be sure to bring it with you, either as a physical, hard-copy list or saved somewhere on your phone.
Though the list below is not exhaustive, it can help you start making a list of questions on your own. Don’t be shy! When it comes to your health, appearance, and well-being, there is no such thing as a “silly” question. Anything you come up with is likely something an experienced surgeon has heard before.
- Are you a board-certified surgeon?
- Where did you do your training?
- How long have you been performing liposuction?
- What is your preferred liposuction technique?
- What risks and complications can I expect?
- What will my results look like, and when will I be able to see them?
- How long will the procedure take?
- What is the recovery time like?
- Do you recommend I consider getting other procedures in conjunction with my liposuction?
- Where will my incisions be?
- What precautions should I take before and after surgery?
- Can you show me before-and-after photos of your previous liposuction patients?
Tampa’s Premier Liposuction Surgeon
In Tampa, where beach season is practically year-round, you don’t want to let stubborn body fat come between you and your confident look. Book your private liposuction consultation with Dr. Stephan today!